Saturday, March 10, 2012

#Idioms 217-222

id•i•om /'ide?m/

An idiom is an expression that means something other than the literal meanings of its individual words.
Here are six native idioms for you to learn and use. Enjoy friends!


to get the message/picture - entender, darse cuenta
John was winking at me and I didn't know why but when I saw my boss I got the message.

to get wind of something
- enterarse de algo
I just got wind of a job offer in Barcelona.

to get wise to someone's game
- enterarse del juego de alguien
John was trying to fool me but I got got wise to his game.

to make a stand
- Entrar en acción
If we don't make a stand right now, they'll control us forever!

to go into detail
- entrar en detalles
Don't go into details just give me the facts.

to take effect
- entrar en vigor
The no smoking law took effect in 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment