Wednesday, February 1, 2012

#Phrasal Verbs: To Be - pt.1

Let's take a look at some phrasal verbs using the verb "To Be"

to be over - (a) terminar (b) at one's friend - estar de visita en lo de un amigo

  • It's all over between them.
  • Ya no queda nada entre ellos.
  • I'm going to Madird this Summer. I'll be over at my parents's house.
  • Voy a ir a Madrid este verano. Me voy a quedar en lo de mis padres.


to be off - (a) irse (b) cancelarse (c) terminar de trabajar (d) descomponerse/echarse a perder

  • I have to be home before dinner, so I'll be off soon.
  • Tengo que estar en casa antes de la cena, así que me iré pronto.
  • The game was off due to bad weather.
  • El partido se canceló a causa de mal tiempo.
  • My girlfriend is off from work at 5 p.m.
  • Mi novia termina de trabajar a las 17.00.
  • This milk is off, look, it's rancid.
  • La leche se echó a perder, mira, está rancia.


to be down with - caer enfermo

  • My brother is down with a sore throat, so he will have to stay in bed.
  • Mi hermano tiene angina, así que tendrá que hacer reposo.


to be away - estar afuera/lejos del hogar, ausentarse

  • Bill is not in town. She is away for this month.
  • Bill no están en la ciudad; va a estar afuera por esta mes.

No comments:

Post a Comment