Friday, February 3, 2012

#Idioms 07-12

id·i·om /ˈidēəm/


An idiom is an expression that means something other than the literal meanings of its individual words.
Here are six native idioms for you to learn and use. Enjoy friends!


to play footsie 
acariciar con el pie
Are you playing footsie with me under the table?


to come to terms 
aceptar
She hasn't come to terms with her father's death


to take something lying down 
aceptar algo sin protestar
You're crazy if you think I'm going to take this lying down! 


to take a joke 
aceptar una broma
Don't get so angry! Can't you take a joke?

to set the record straight 
aclarar las cosas
I'll make a statement later to set the record straight.


to call something to mind 
acordarse de algo
Every time I smell fresh pasta it calls to mind my grandmothers kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment