Sunday, February 26, 2012

#idioms 139-144

id•i•om /'ide?m/

An idiom is an expression that means something other than the literal meanings of its individual words.
Here are six native idioms for you to learn and use. Enjoy friends!
to break the news to someone - darle una noticia a alguien
I hate to be the one to break the news to you. But we no longer want you to work for us.

to beat someone hollow/black and blue
 - darle una tremenda paliza a alguien
If you call me that again I'm going to beat you black and blue!

to take flight
 - darse a la fuga
They stole my bag and took flight out of the store.

to give up the ghost
 - darse por vencido
My car gave up the ghost on the way here so I caught a taxi.

to get a move on
 - darse prisa
John, get a move on or we'll miss the start of the match!

to make it snappy
 - darse prisa
I'll have a large haburger an fries, and make it snappy!

No comments:

Post a Comment