Tuesday, March 6, 2012

#Idioms 193-198

id•i•om /'ide?m/

An idiom is an expression that means something other than the literal meanings of its individual words.
Here are six native idioms for you to learn and use. Enjoy friends!


to blow something out of the water - echar por tierra
This years sales figures blew last years figures out of the water.

to put down roots
 - echar raíces
I've lived all over, but I have finally put down my roots in Madrid.

to lay something at someone's door
 - echarle la culpa a alguien
My colleague was stealing money and tried to lay it at my door.

to lay the blame on someone
 - echarle la culpa a alguien
The police wont rest until they lay the blame on someone.

to bite someone's head off
 - Echarle una bronca a alguien
My girlfriend bit my head off for forgetting her birthday.

to give someone hell
 - echarle una bronca a alguien
if she doesn't stop staring at me I'm going to give her hell.

No comments:

Post a Comment