Friday, February 17, 2012

#Idioms 91-96

id•i•om /'ide?m/

An idiom is an expression that means something other than the literal meanings of its individual words.
Here are six native idioms for you to learn and use. Enjoy friends!
to do an about-face/about-turn - cambiar de postura
I got a new dog! My wife did an about-turn over letting me have one.

to break a bill/note
- cambiar un billete

Let me pay. I need to break this fifty euro note .
to pull the plug on something - cancelar algo
I'll never pull the plug on this project as long as you keep reading.   
to take a hint - captar una indirecta
I said I was tired, will you take the hint and go home!
to make waves - causar problemas
If they don't start treating me with respect I'll make waves !  
to make a splash - Causar sensación
I expect our new podcasts will make a splash in our english learning community

No comments:

Post a Comment