Friday, February 10, 2012

#Idioms 49-54

id•i•om /'ide?m/

An idiom is an expression that means something other than the literal meanings of its individual words.
Here are six native idioms for you to learn and use. Enjoy friends!
to throw someone to the wolves - arrojar a alguien a los lobos
My manager threw me to the wolves when he blamed me for the problem.
to throw down the gauntlet  - arrojar el guante
She threw down the gauntlet and challenged me to a game of chess.
to be broke - estar arruinado
If I don't stop spending my money I'll be broke by the end of the week.   
to make sure - asegurarse
Please make sure you wipe your feet.

to put two and two together 
- atar cabos

He didn't tell me he was sad, I was his face and put two and two together.   
to catch red-handed  - atrapar con las manos en la masa
I walked downstairs and caught the theif red handed .

No comments:

Post a Comment