Thursday, February 9, 2012

#Idioms 43-48

id•i•om /'ide?m/

An idiom is an expression that means something other than the literal meanings of its individual words.
Here are six native idioms for you to learn and use. Enjoy friends!
to make a fuss  - armar un escándalo
hy does he always have to make a fuss about everything?
to take root - arraigar
That song has taken root in my head since I first heard it.
to make a clean sweep - arrasar con todo
The movie made a clean sweep in the oscars.   
to take a chance - arriesgarse
I'd like to take a chance on running my own business.
to make do - arreglárselas
We'll have to make do with candles if the power goes out.   
to jump down someone's throat  - arremeter contra alguien
She jumped down my throat when I came home drunk.

No comments:

Post a Comment