Wednesday, February 8, 2012

#Idioms 37-42

id•i•om /'ide?m/

An idiom is an expression that means something other than the literal meanings of its individual words.
Here are six native idioms for you to learn and use. Enjoy friends!
to take heart  - animarse
I lost my job, but I had to take heart that I'd find another.
to go on record  - anunciar públicamente
I'd like to go on the record as saying that I'd never do that!
to come up smelling of roses  - aparecer contento
The politician faught off alligations of curruption and came up smelling of roses .   
to take advantage of  - aprovecharse de
I need to take advantage of this opportunity.
to put one's best foot forward  - apretar el paso
I don't feel like going, but I'll try to   put my best foot forward .   
to go along for the ride  - aprovechar el aventón
He was playing PS3 and invited me to join in, so I went along for the ride .

No comments:

Post a Comment