Monday, February 6, 2012

#Idioms 25-30

id·i·om /ˈidēəm/


An idiom is an expression that means something other than the literal meanings of its individual words.
Here are six native idioms for you to learn and use. Enjoy friends!


to be quick on the uptake 
agarrar las cosas al vuelo
Explain it once and I'll understand, I'm quick on the uptake.


to run someone ragged 
agotar a alguien
My old boss used to run me ragged.


to take it on the chin 
aguantar algo con resignación
I've had some bad luck but I'm trying to take it on the chin. 


to put up or shut up 
aguantarse o callarse
He keeps complaining about his pay, he should put up or shut up.



to put a damper on something 
aguar la fiesta
The death of her father put a damper on the wedding.



to make a mountain out of a molehill 
ahogarse en un vaso de agua
You're making a mountain out of a molehill. Nobody will notice such a small stain.

No comments:

Post a Comment