Wednesday, February 29, 2012

#Idioms 157-162

id•i•om /'ide?m/

An idiom is an expression that means something other than the literal meanings of its individual words.
Here are six native idioms for you to learn and use. Enjoy friends!
to play a waiting game - dejar pasar el tiempo
My doctors are playing the waiting game but I still feel ill!

to let nature take its course
- dejar que la naturaleza siga su curso
We should let nature take it's course, we shouldn't interfere.

to make one's mark
 - dejar su impronta
John Lennon made his mark on music history.

to eat someone out of house and home
 - dejarle la despensa vacía a alguien
I need to go to the supermarket, my children are eating me out of house and home.

to give someone a black eye
 - dejarle un ojo morado a alguien
He wouldn't stop provoking me so I gave him a black eye.

to get carried away
 - dejarse llevar
I got carried away and spent my weekly shopping money on a video game.

No comments:

Post a Comment