Tuesday, February 28, 2012

#Idioms 151-156

id•i•om /'ide?m/

An idiom is an expression that means something other than the literal meanings of its individual words.
Here are six native idioms for you to learn and use. Enjoy friends!


to get off one's back/case - dejar a alguien en paz
John, get off my back! I have enough stress as it is.

to give someone a break
 - darle a alguien una oportunidad
Jane, give him a break, he said he'd never do it again.

to let it be
 - dejarlo estar
We shook hands and decided to let it be.

to throw someone for a loop
 - dejar a alguien pasmado
He threw me for a loop when he asked me to marry him.

to go by the board
 - dejar a un lado, tirar por la borda
All the efforts to keep the peace went by the board after last nights riots.

to cut it fine
 - dejar algo para último momento
I know I cut if fine, I got here as soon as I could.

No comments:

Post a Comment