Monday, February 27, 2012

#Idioms 145-150

id•i•om /'ide?m/

An idiom is an expression that means something other than the literal meanings of its individual words.
Here are six native idioms for you to learn and use. Enjoy friends!
to put on airs - darse aires de grandeza
Don't put on airs with us, you're not better than we are!

to take someone at their word
 - decidir creerle a alguien
He said he'd never do it again so I took him on his word.

to make up one's mind
 - decidirse
I don't know if I prefer to eat pizza or a burger, I just can't make up my mind.

to let it drop that
 - decir algo como si nada
Sharon let it drop that she was trying to have a baby.

to put one's finger on it
 - decir exactamente qué es
Something strange is going on here but I just can't put my finger on it.

to give it to someone straight
 - decirle algo a alguien de una vez
Don't keep me in suspense doctor, just give it too me straight.

No comments:

Post a Comment