Saturday, February 25, 2012

#Idioms 133-138

id•i•om /'ide?m/

An idiom is an expression that means something other than the literal meanings of its individual words.
Here are six native idioms for you to learn and use. Enjoy friends!


to give someone the creeps - darle escalofríos a alguien
Spiders give me the creeps.

to give the shirt off one's back
 - quitarse hasta la camisa para dársela a alguien
I'd do anything for you; I'd give you the shirt off my back.

to run rings around someone
 - darle mil vueltas a alguien
I run rings around my girlfriend at video games.

to take the heat off someone
 darle un respiro a alguien
His charity work took the heat off his father's affair.

to put the fear of God into someone
 - darle un susto de muerte a alguien
My mother still puts the fear of god into me when she shouts.

to go to bat for someone
 - echar una mano a alguien
She really went to bat for me when times were tough.

No comments:

Post a Comment