Tuesday, February 21, 2012

#Idioms 109-114

id•i•om /'ide?m/

An idiom is an expression that means something other than the literal meanings of its individual words.
Here are six native idioms for you to learn and use. Enjoy friends!
to go through the motions cumplir con las formalidades
I don't think they are in love anymore, they are just going through the motions   .
to do time   cumplir condena
The man was convicted and he did time even though he was innocent
to put your money where your mouth is dar ejemplo
If he want's me to improve my English he should put his money where his mouth is and imporve his Spanish.
to give one's word dar su palabra, prometer
she gave me her word that she'd never cheat again.
to stand up and be counted   luchar cara por sus principios
Think for yourself, stand up and be counted! Don't let others dictate your behaviour.
to turn one's back on dar la espalda
He turned his back on me when I needed him the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment