Thursday, February 2, 2012

#Idioms 13-18

id·i·om /ˈidēəm/


An idiom is an expression that means something other than the literal meanings of its individual words.
Here are six native idioms for you to learn and use. Enjoy friends!


to get the feel of something 
acostumbrarse a algo
I'm starting to get the feel for the English language!.


to give someone the third degree 
acribillar a alguien a preguntas
When I first met my wife's father he gave me the third degree. 


to fall in/to line 
actuar conforme a las reglas
If he doesn't fall in line he'll lose his job.


to jump the gun 
adelantarse a los hechos
Don't jump the gun! Ask her out for a drink first!

to hold the purse strings 
administrar el dinero
hold the purse strings in my house.


to go native 
adoptar las costumbres de un país
She's only lived there a few weeks and she's already gone native.

No comments:

Post a Comment